VLC on versiontracker?

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Mon May 13 07:36:15 CEST 2002

The DJ wrote:

> on 12-05-2002 19:08, Tim Anderson at ande2965 at tc.umn.edu wrote:
>
> > It seems that they're taking the latest version from CVS and building the
> > Apple installer around it and releasing it. I downloaded it from their
> > website, but didn't install. I opened up the package file, and it's just the
> > VLC app pre-compiled and the installer places it in the Applications folder.
> > Why they think this is a contribution, I don't know. They just seem to be
> > trying to take credit for making the CVS builds available without the need
> > to compile anything.

I hadn't read the original, so didn't see what you cut out:

   The only thing special about this is that it`s a cvs build with the
latest
   fixes and features. And it is easy for everyone to install.
   If you want to build it yourself or are curious about this project
   go check it out @ (http://www.videolan.org)

They *TELL* you they've done nothing special, just doing nightly
builds that installs nicely (the Mac/Next way, not the Unix way)
on OS X. They give credit to videolan.  I really don't understand
the problem.  (rpmfind.net has a service where they track rpm's
you can install on different Linuxes - what's the difference?
They're just packaging. But I use rpmfind.net all the time)

--
Bill Eldridge
Radio Free Asia
bill at rfa.org