[vlc] Re: No accelerated IMDCT transform found

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Tue Nov 26 18:42:18 CET 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002, Alexis Guerin wrote:

> Why does the video become so slow without acceleration for the IMDCT
> transform?
> When using the wired network, it is fast enough to see the video, but I am
> also trying to read the stream through a wireless interface and the quality
> becomes then unacceptable (only a few frames are appears on the screen).

   I think you're simply dropping packets. Try to run vlc with -vvvvv,
if you get input warnings about discontinuities then it means your
network can't handle THX_Simpsons.vob's bitrate.

> However, when I use the presentation.vob file, vlc use the libmad decoder and
> the quality of the video is almost perfect despite the narrow band of the
> wireless transmission.

   AFAIK presentation.vob has a much smaller bitrate than the Dolby and
THX trailers.

> What could be the differences between these files and why can vlc not use the
> libmad decoder for the THX_Simpsons.vob file when it can do it for the
> presentation_normal.vob file.

   Because presentation_normal.vob has MPEG audio, hence uses libmad,
and THX_Simpsons.vob has AC3 audio and thus uses liba52.

--
Sam.