[vlc] Re: Question about your Mac Port ...

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Tue Oct 22 09:36:17 CEST 2002

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002, Mark Whittemore wrote:

> I'm going to attempt to do some YUV surface blitting in the Macintosh
> and would very much like to get access to a Hardware Overlay surface.
>
> Can you tell me if SDL will acquire a hardware YV12, UYVY, YUY2 or
> other YUV surface on Mac OS X ?

   SDL can blit YV12 and IYUV surfaces. See src/video/quartz/ in the
sources, especially SDL_QuartzVideo.m.

> Or does you player have to use some other aspect of the OS or
> QuickTime to get an overlay ?

   VLC has support for SDL, but TTBOMK people only use the native OS X
video output, which uses QuickTime to display the YUV surfaces. The code
is in plugins/macosx/ (0.4.x versions) or modules/gui/macosx/ (0.5.x CVS
version of VLC).

Regards,
--
Sam.