[vlc] AC3 sound oddness

Douglas Baggett dbaggett at nsf.gov
Tue Oct 29 20:39:04 CET 2002

First things first....GREAT software, I bow in respect!!! :)

So I installed vlc 0.4.5 for Windoze for the first time on a WinXP system
last night and ripped the first 8 min from Gladiator using claddvd 1.4. I
used vlms 0.2.3 (compiled by me) on RedHat 8.0 with the ripped vob file.The
Video works flawlessly...the audio is a little more problamatic.

All of the audio channels except for one have a high frequency distortion.
Channel 1 selected from vlms (which I think is track 2 on the disk) does
not have this problem but there is still a noticable 240AC like hum in the
background, its not constant and varies with other sound being processed.
(I checked my speakers, it only occurs when using the vlc client so I am
fairly confident it's not a hardware issue).

The problem(s) with the high frequency distortion and the 240AC like hum
occures with both the A52 and AC3_adec audio decoders.

I have not tried the vlc client in LINUX yet but I plan to tonight to see
if the issue is the same. I'm willing to help troubleshoot this problem in
any way I can, including sending the log output from vlc and possibly
capturing the audio to a raw wave file and posting it on a website for
people to hear if it's needed.

The Audio as far as I can tell is

track 1 - AC3 6ch
track 2 - DTS 6ch
track 3 - AC3 2ch
track 4 - AC3 2ch

thanks for any help! I can't copy the message log where I am now, but would
be happy to once I get home for the day.

-Doug B

Output from vlms