libavcodecs

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Mon Sep 2 01:31:29 CEST 2002

Hello Mathias,

À (At) 16:34 +0200 29/08/2002, mathias meyer écrivait (wrote) :

>i would like to make a vlc package for the use on OSX using the fink
>packaging system (based on debian .deb). building vlc works fine as
>long as i don't include the mad or ffmpeg codecs. with these codecs
>included it fails while looking for libavcodec. could you please
>tell me how you configured vlc (especially where sould the
>libavcodec come from?).
>
>checking for mad.h... yes
>checking for mad_bit_init in -lmad... yes
>checking for avcodec_init in -lavcodec... no
>configure: error: Cannot find libavcodec library...
>### execution of ./configure failed, exit code 1
>Failed: compiling vlc-0.4.4-1 failed

First, what's the intent of integrating VLC into fink ? I thought
fink was for porting traditional *NIX applications to OS X, but VLC
is now a full Cocoa application. Is it in fink's policy to include
such applications ?

As for your problem, my configure line is :
./configure --disable-x11 --disable-xvideo --disable-gtk
--disable-sdl --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-tree=../ffmpeg-cvs
--enable-mad --enable-libdvbpsi --with-libdvbpsi-tree=../libdvbpsi
--enable-a52 --with-a52-tree=../a52dec-0.7.4
--with-libdvdcss-tree=../libdvdcss --enable-release

Personally, I statically link with ffmpeg since ffmpeg guys can't
provide stable versions (you know, with version numbers and all).

Compiling VLC on OS X is highly non-trivial, and when I have time
I'll make a .tar.gz of my personal build environment, to make your
life easier. In the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact me for
more information.

--
Christophe Massiot.