vlc under win2000 errors

Andre Cretegny acretegny at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 13 08:14:03 CEST 2002

I'm trying to use vlc to play dvd or avi files, and I
got the following error when starting to play either
the dvd of the file:

The instruction at "0x780019ef" referenced memory at
"0x0254e000". The memory could not be "written".

using Vlc:

VideoLAN Client - version 0.4.4_2002-08-11 Ourumov -
(c) 1996-2002 VideoLAN
I'm wondering what means the message at the end:
warning, garbage. I may not be using the right set of
options, but I did not find (yet) the right ones... if
someone can direct me to some source of information,
I'll appreciate. Thanks to all the good work !

extract of the message log:
[...]

input: dvd=E raw= title=1 chapter=1 angle=1
ifo info: vmg initialized
dvd info: number of titles: 36
ifo info: vts 1 initialized
dvd: title 1 vts_title 1 pgc 1
dvd info: title first 497712, last 1924926, size
1924927
dvd info: title 1, 20 chapters, 2 angles
dvd info: MPEG-2 video, ntsc 525 @60Hz, aspect ratio
16:9
dvd info: display mode letterboxed, line21-1 data in
GOP, no line21-2 data
dvd info: source is 720x480 ntsc or 720x576 pal, not
letterboxed, camera mode
dvd info: audio 1 (English) is AC3, 6 channels,
48000Hz, no application specified
dvd info: normal caption, quantization drc, status 0
dvd info: audio 2 (Francais) is AC3, 6 channels,
48000Hz, no application specified
dvd info: normal caption, quantization drc, status 1
dvd info: spu 1 (English), caption 1 prefix 100, modes
[ ]
dvd info: spu 2 (Espanol), caption 1 prefix 100, modes
[ wide letter ]
intf: stream has changed, refreshing interface
module: locking access module `dvd'
input: selecting ES 0xe0
module: locking decoder module `mpeg_vdec'
thread info: 476 (decoder) has been created
(src/input/input_dec.c:85)
module: locking motion module `motionmmxext'
module: locking demux module `dvd'
module: locking iDCT module `idctmmxext'
vpar: no vout present, spawning one
vout: vout_Create creating DirectXEventThread
vout: DirectXCreateWindow
vout: DirectXCreateWindow background color:5
vout: Screen dimensions 1400x1050 colour depth 32
thread info: 500 (DirectX Events Thread) has been
created (vout_directx.c:157)
vout: vout_Create DirectXEventThread running
vout: DirectXInitDDraw
intf: stream has changed, refreshing interface
input warning: garbage (0x925a329d)
vout: DirectDraw Capabilities:
       overlay=1 yuvoverlay=1 can_clip_overlay=0
colorkey=1 stretch=1
vout: End DirectXInitDDraw
vout: DirectXCreateDisplay
vout: DirectXCreateClipper
module: locking video output module `directx'
vout: NewPictureVec
thread info: 540 (video output) has been created
(src/video_output/video_output.c:212)
input warning: garbage (0x4d591647)
module: hiding unused plugin module `spudec'
module: hiding unused plugin module `lpcm_adec'
input warning: garbage (0x1fcbaabb)
input: toggling pause