PB titanium + encrypted DVDs + Jaguar

Charles Ravussin meisterk at mac.com
Sat Sep 21 00:50:20 CEST 2002

I have a Titanium PB running Jaguar. My DVD drive, a matshita CW8121,
is RPC2.

It seems that there won't be a patched firmware for this drive anytime
soon , so I figured VLC would allow me to read Region 1 DVDs as my
drive is locked to region 2.

I scanned the mailing list archives and found that in order to
successfully read encrypted DVDs on VLC, one must

1) give write access to the dvd device. So I did:

"sudo chmod 666 /dev/rdisk1"  from the console

2) use the "title" css method if your drive is RPC2. I launch VLC like
this:

" ./vlc dvd:/dev/rdisk1 --dvd-cssmethod=key"

Then vlc opens, and nothing seems to happen. Doing a "tail -f
/var/log/system.log" gives me this:

Sep 20 15:40:58 CR-Mobile-Studio mach_kernel: SAM Multimedia: READ or
WRITE failed, ASC = 0x6f, ASCQ = 0x04
Sep 20 15:40:58 CR-Mobile-Studio last message repeated 4 times
Sep 20 15:40:58 CR-Mobile-Studio mach_kernel: disk1: I/O error.

the message loops forever unless i quit vlc

and here is the libdvdcss output:

ibdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
libdvdcss debug: drive authentic, using variant 0
libdvdcss debug: authentication established
libdvdcss debug: GetASF authenticated (ASF=1)
libdvdcss debug: disc key won't be decrypted
libdvdcss debug: the key is 00 00 00 00 00
libdvdcss debug: read returned 0 (end of device?)
libdvdcss debug: 0 of 0 attempts successful, 0 of 1 blocks scrambled
libdvdcss debug: file was unscrambled
libdvdcss debug: the key is 00 00 00 00 00
libdvdcss debug: unencrypted title
libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
libdvdcss debug: ioctl_ReportAgid failed
libdvdcss debug: invalidating AGID 0

I am using VLC 0.4.4, supposedly using the latest libdvdcss..

It seems this is a darwin issue, anybody got an idea of what's going on?

Thanks