[vlc] Re: VLC 0.5.3-test2 for win32

GeoffP webmail-vl at rearden.com
Mon Apr 7 04:38:54 CEST 2003

I've been using vlc to play back 15 Mbps HDTV MPEG-2 files. One of the
problems I've had with the previous VLC version is when you streamed the
HDTV through UDP, the audio got out of sync with the video. This version, at
least in initial testing, seems to have fixed that problem, and the audio
stays locked with the video through UDP, even at HDTV rates.

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with the old version, but this
version does a pretty good job at playing back at HDTV resolution
(1920x1080). I had a little tearing before, but I haven't noticed it with
this version in initial tests. Also, the de-interlacing (even though it
seems to be simply discarding a field) works, and can be switched on and off
reliably.

As a point of comparison, there is a commercial software HDTV decoder
product that was just released called FusionHD with a proprietary
decompressor. It is only able to do 960x520 resolution (1/4 of full res) in
real-time on the same system. So, you guys should be pretty pleased to be
doing 1920x1080 at close to real time.

My only major complaint is that there is still a break in the video when
switching to a new file in a playlist. The HD files are so huge, it is
helpful to break them up into pieces and put them into a playlist (or better
yet, have a mode where VLC plays successively numbered files). Most of the
commercial products (using hardware MPEG decode) do this seamlessly and
automatically.

Also, it would be great if VLC could be directed to playback the video to a
secondary monitor. In my setup a secondary display is used for HDTV output,
and the primary display is used PC interaction. VLC plays back to whichever
is the primary monitor on the PC, so I have to move my toolbar and desktop
icons to the secondary display to get VLC to play there. Again, most of the
commercial products have a way to play to a secondary monitor.

Looking good.

/vlc-0.5.3-test2-win32.exe

Enjoy,

--