[vlc] Re: iPaq VLC media player 0.5.3

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Fri Apr 11 14:19:07 CEST 2003

Jean-Paul Saman wrote:

>Andrew leung wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I would like to know whether this 0.5.3 support web camera -
>> captured movie streaming ? because it said it support video4Linux
>>

>No it does not support webcams AFAIK. Only VideoLAN Server supports
>webcams.

VLC 0.5.3 has an updated v4l input which should allow you to stream from any v4l compatible device. It also supports on the fly compression to mpeg1/mpeg4.

Unfortunately it hasn't received much testing and might even not be easy to compile because you have to modify configure.ac.in to include the encoders in the vlc build.

I'd suggest you to wait until 0.5.4 to try out this feature, unless you know what you are doing ;)

--
Gildas