[vlc] Re: subtitles

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Tue Apr 22 19:44:40 CEST 2003

On zaterdag, apr 19, 2003, at 06:11 Europe/Amsterdam, alex bueno wrote:
> hi. i'm running os x and have a little problem. i must first say
> however that your program is a godsend; no other program even comes
> close to being as useful for playing video on a mac (at least any that
> i know of). anyway there seems to be some trouble with the subtitles
> function. most avi files i have with sub files do not work with vlc,
> yet they do work on a windows box running a player called sasami
> (quite good by the way). is this a known bug?

VLC currently supports only about 5 formats of subtitles. (of the
somewhat 25 possible formats a .sub or .srt file can be).

> also in other files i have gotten subtitles but in a very large font
> and without an option for language (this sub file had several
> languages).

Currently only one font is available. we are working on support for
freetype fonts that should fix this issue in the future, but when all
this is going to be fixed is unknown.

> anyway i'm not quite sure what else to say. some subs just don't work.
> is there something wrong with these files? or is it the program? is
> there something else i can use to play these on the mac? but keep up
> the good work. thanks.

Look at the program Cellulo. I used to use it for subtitles, before VLC
got subtitle support.

Derk-Jan Hartman
---
Videolan - VLC media player