[vlc] More VLC questions regarding ff / rew ...

j.zorko at att.net j.zorko at att.net
Wed Apr 23 19:48:06 CEST 2003

Gildas,

Thanks for the pointers -- they're appreciated.  I finally got a very experimental version of VLC
that only sends every nth MP3 frame, and a client VLC was able to play it once I did it correctly
(completely aside, I still need to look at implementing RFC3119 or some such thing to make the
stream still somewhat representative of the source material).  For reasons of scale, i'd rather
implement ff / rew using this method, rather sending all of the data and having the VLC client alter
the playback speed.

Anyway, i'm now trying to wire this up the correct way, and i'm looking at extending the rc
interface to have ff / rew commands (the GUI can be updated later i'm thinking, our application
would run VLC full-screen i.e. like a DVD player would).  What i'm not seeing yet, though, is how
the PacketizeThread() function in modules/packetizer/mpegaudio.c can get access to the
input_thread_t that has the stream members (and hence the i_rate member) that are modified by
input_SetStatus().  I see the playlist_t has the input_thread_t, but the packetizer seems on the other
side of the wall completely from the input.  I think I understand why this is the case (VLC, when
streaming out the input, sends it as a TS and hence has to go through some of the decoding /
demuxing).  I know this is all C code, but that's no excuse to go adding a few globals and externs
-- i'd rather extend the current mechanisms i.e. do it the way the VLC designers intended.

So, my question is this: Is the input_thread_t representing the source thread accessible from the
packetizer streaming the TS packets out?  If I extend input_SetStatus() to add PLAY_FF and
PLAY_REWIND, and set the rate and direction accordingly, has it been envisioned how the
packetizer would know this info so it can change the way it streams the output i.e. skipping n MP3
frames before sending one?

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou