[vlc] [Ecartis <listar at via.ecp.fr>] Message submitted to 'vlc'

System administration admin at via.ecp.fr
Thu Apr 24 00:26:10 CEST 2003

   Stripped attachments are at:
    <http://www.videolan.org/~admin/20030423-videolan/>

----- Forwarded message

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:18:34 +0200
Subject: Re : [vlc] Hardware acceleration under OS X
From: "Godefroy Troude" <godefroy.troude at wanadoodata.com>
To: "Derk-Jan Hartman" <d.hartman at student.utwente.nl>,
	vlc at videolan.org

Hello !

Reading you answer (thanks for giving it so quick !) I think my question
wasn't precise enough.

I just tested the playing of DVD-video with VLC in a big french shop (BHV)
where there was some PowerBook G4 in demonstration. I only could test the
PowerBook G4 867MHz with a DVD-video that I know well (Avengers, 1968,
season 6, volume 1 - Universal 2002). There was almost enough power to play
correctly the DVD-video: there was still some dropped frame. So, I thought
that PERHAPS on a PowerBook G4 1GHz there would be enough power. But I want
to be sure of that !

Then, I read on the FAQ that "VLC doesn't support the ATI DVD hardware
decoding" and I asked myself the exact meaning of this sentence, that I
still haven't understood after your answer (sorry). Is it:
1) VLC doesn't support ANY DVD hardware decoding
2) VLC support ANY OTHER hardware decoding than ATI

What is the correct proposition ?

Just a few words about hardware acceleration, because I have not the same
point of view: I agree that on a PowerBook G4 1GHz the hardware acceleratio=
is perhaps less important than on my iBook G3 500MHz, but this hardware
acceleration is more reliable (because it is no dependant of other process
running on the machine), and I think also that hardware acceleration will b=
power savy instead of intensive computer power decoding.

I would appreciate to have your point of view about this second point.

In attachment (if it could interest you) a review of the problems I found o=
the OS X Apple DVD player (versus OS 9 Apple DVD player). I'm french and I
translated it in english in the beggining of the text, but I didn't
translated the last part because the Apple discussion forum didn't allow so
much text and anyway I must be shorter.

Best regards.

- - - - -
Godefroy Troude