[vlc] Re: Stuttering on Network files

Brian Carlson briancarlson at mac.com
Tue Aug 5 15:40:57 CEST 2003

Server is MS Windows 2003 (PIII 800, 768MB RAM, Hard drives in RAID 0 array)
Client is Apple OS X 10.2.6 (G3 700, 640MB RAM)
VLC version is 0.61
Network connection speed is 100Mbps
Media type is any one of the following; DVD/DVCD/AVI(mpeg4)
Approximate bitrate is anywhere from 700-1500Kbps
Does it play when viewed locally? Not sure, I will try this when I get home.

By stuttering I mean the file will play perfectly for a period of 10 seconds or so, then the video and audio will stop for about a second, and then vlc jumps forward about a second in the file and resumes playing.  When playing this same file in quicktime the "stuttering" issues do not occur.

On Tuesday, August 05, 2003, at 08:31AM, Benjamin PRACHT <bigben at via.ecp.fr> wrote:

>As a  matter of  fact, we don't  have enough information  to give  you a
>correct answer.
>
>What do you exactly mean by "stuttering"  ? Which version of VLC are you
>using ?  Which software  are you  using on  server side  ? What  kind of
>computer is the server ? what is the network between server and client ?
>what kind of file are you trying to stream ? which approximate bitrate ?
>Does the file play  smoothely when being read locally ?  Do you have the
>same problem when streaming, using udp, but to localhost ?
>
>Moreover,  getting log  from the  server and  the client  would be  much
>useful.
>
>--
>$(echo "BigBen")
>
>Oui je quote, et alors ?