[vlc] Re: Using VLC as a multicast client

Guschti llx at gmx.net
Mon Aug 11 23:05:12 CEST 2003

Måns Rullgård wrote:

>Guschti <llx at gmx.net> writes:
>

>>I am writing an application which just sends MPEG-1 video to a
>>multicast address using simple
>>UDP calls. VLC is on the client side.
>>
>>When I first start VLC and then my server. About 1/4 of the upper part
>>of the video is displayed correct the other part displays strange geen
>>and other colors, but just for a few seconds  then it crashs.
>>

>Are you sending the data at the right speed.  VLC is very sensitive to
>that.

I am sending the data the same way as I did when using http, I just
changed the send()to a sendto() to send to a multicast address  instead
of a 'normal' address. It is a while loop and whenever the encoder card
has a packet it is immediatly sended. Which is 25 times a second. I can
see this when adding a printout which prints the time each time send()
is called.

Is there another free video player which supports udp multicast?
It would be useful to see if the trouble is on my side.

Thanks,
Guschti