[vlc] Re: VLC version for Red Hat 7.2

Paul Allen allenp at nwlink.com
Sun Aug 17 19:43:42 CEST 2003

You certainly want the most recent VLC sources.  Projects like
this generally get better over time even if they do not become
easier to build.

On Rh 7.3, the 6.2 sources can be made to compile, but you also
need to download and compile all of the dependencies.  On my
system the faad2-20030811 sources would not build because of
a missing header.  I downloaded the faad2_2.0_rc1 tarball from
the original author's web site, and then had to fetch and
install id3lib in order to get faad2 to build.  Make sure you
read all of the various README files.  Most libraries can be
built with a simple "./configure --enable-shared; make", but
a few need more attention in order to come out the way you
want.  Plan to spend at least several hours and to re-do some
parts several times.  It's worth it in the end.

The one problem I have with 6.2 is that it seg faults if I ask
it to play a DVD with menus.  The same DVD without menus plays
fine.  6.1 also seg faulted if I asked it for menu support.
An error about encrypted DVD support being unavailable prints
just before vlc dumps core.  Of course, I can play encrypted
and region-coded DVD's just fine if I don't ask for menu support.

Paul Allen