[vlc] Re: basic VideoLAN question

John Michael Zorko j.zorko at att.net
Fri Aug 29 17:01:20 CEST 2003

Dana,

Perhaps I can help (John loves to help).

> I'm a little confused- I just set up vlc to to video on demand from my
> web server.  What is the difference between getting this video through
> vlc, and simply double-clicking on a, say, .mpeg file in explorer on a
> network share?

VLC actually streams out the MPEG file as an MPEG transport stream
(sort of like how digital cable companies stream movies to your set-top
box).  Double-clicking on a file on a network share just tells Windows
Media Player (or whatever player you're using) to read that file and
play it.  From your perspective, they may be the same, but because VLC
streams media as a transport stream, it is possible that other,
non-Windows and non-PC devices will be able to play it (i.e. set-top
boxes).  Also, the MPEG spec is available to everyone -- contrasted
with the Windows Media spec, which is, sadly, not.

> And one more question-  what exactly is the difference between vlc and
> vls?  I looked at the docs but didn't grasp it.

VLC is a player that can also act as a simple streamer by streaming the
current item in its' playlist to a unicast / multicast address.  VLS is
not a player, but it is a more full-function streamer than VLC is.  VLC
can be compared to Windows Media Player with a DirectShow source filter
to relay out the data it's playing to others, while VLS can be compared
to Windows Media Server / QuickTime Streaming Server / ShoutCAST /
IceCast.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New EP, "hope thrown down," available now at
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou