[vlc] Re: More Success

Les LaZar llazar at zoltech.com
Tue Dec 2 01:55:00 CET 2003

Benjamin,

It is odd, but on my system, the command "vlc stream:/dev/video0" without
the ":channel=1:norm=ntsc" does not create a display window.

The basic command with only ":channel=1" does create a display window, but
the colors are distorted (e.g. my skin looks blue) and the vertical sync
bars is visible on the screen about 15% of the way up from the bottom.
Presumably because the norm default is not ntsc.

The basic command with only ":norm=ntsc"  creates a stable display window,
but with the kind of visual noise I associate with a non-existant broadcast
tv channel.  This would make sense if the channel number defaulted to 0
(instead of 1), thus selecting the broadcast TV tuner on the WinTV GO card
that is my video source.

The complete command:  "vlc stream:/dev/video0:channel=1:norm=ntsc" does
indeed create a display window and shows the input from the local camera
correctly.  Looking at the -vvv output shows that v4l is ultimately selected
as the access module after several others don't work.

The command "vlc v4l:/dev/video0..." also works and saves some time, as
several access modules are not tested and rejected before v4l is found.

Speaking of the TV tuner (channel=0 on the WinTV GO card):  Is there a table
somewhere that gives the frequency=x values that are associated with US NTSC
broadcast channels; VHF and UHF?

Thanks,

Les