[vlc] Re: RTP access

Itsik Boger iboger at qualcomm.com
Wed Dec 3 20:19:19 CET 2003

You are right that RTCP is not mandatory along with RTP data transfert, but
some parameters like how to convert the timestamp carried in the RTP header
into "play time" is necessary, unless VLC uses only the static payload type
assignement (the one specified in RFC 1890).
I have also remarked that the streaming data is always carried over profile
type 33 (MP2T encoding), where can I found the specification of this
payload type?

As a general question, would it be possible to use Windows Media Player,
RealOne or QuickTime to play a stream sent by a VLC streamer that uses the
RTP access? If so what is the URL I sould specify in those players?

Thanks a lot

At 11:07 AM 12/3/2003, you wrote:
>Itsik Boger wrote:
>
>>Hi Folks,
>>
>>When using RTP as access for streaming, does both data transfer and
>>control session take place between the VLC streamer and the VLC player ?
>>By using a network sniffer, I was able to see the RTP data transfer
>>session only but not the RTP control session.
>> From my understanding, the RTP RFC specifies the usage of those two
>> protocols, so does it mean than VLC implement a non standard RTP protocol ?
>AFAIK using RTCP with RTP is not mandatory. If one would like to get
>feedback over the link quality then using RTCP would be a wise thing todo.
>
>VLC uses livedotcom library todo RTP. It also has RTCP capablities AFAIK,
>you could try to use the RTCP part in conjunction with RTP. The team would
>be willing to except patches for this.
>
>Grtz,
>Jean-Paul Saman
>

>--