[vlc] Re: VLC Remote Control

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Tue Dec 9 13:14:02 CET 2003

Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
> On 08 dec 2003, at 16:12, Joe Niziolek wrote:
>
>> Dear Derk;
>>
>> My application is unique.  We are a remote control programming company
>> that
>> produces systems for trade shows, etc.  Our normal backbone for
>> control is a
>> Netlinx control system made by AMX.  (www.amx.com)
>>
>> What I need to do, is have a presenter with a one button RF remote play
>> through a list of items.  The pattern is to play a main clip and when
>> that
>> is finished, an attract loop will play until the button is pressed again.
>> Then the process repeats itself a total of 12 times.  The trick is
>> that the
>> MPEG file plays on a large display but along with that is a separate
>> display
>> playing another style of video (a DOREMI video player) that outputs
>> analog
>> video to a video wall.  The Doremi will provide SMPTE time code to
>> coordinate booth lighting and special effects.  The client needs to
>> play the
>> MPEG file back on a NT machine because the proprietary display will only
>> display well from a PC VGA output.
>>
>> Of course, I need to keep all this in sync between the analog video
>> and the
>> content played back on vlc.
>>
>> The Netlinx system is a process controller, (not a PC) that has
>> RS-232/422/485 control as well as telnet capability.  Http does not
>> seem to
>> be a solution.  Netlinx uses a Motorola Coldfire processor running
>> VXWorks
>> as an operating system.  My only thought is to get to the PC running
>> vlc by
>> Ethernet or RS-232.

1) Use lirc and talk like a CE infrared *remote control* to VLC. You
then need to specify which IR command corresponds to which VLC key press.

2) Another solution could be to implement an interface plugin which can
listen to terminal commands form /dev/ttS0 or /dev/ttyS1.

Well this is my 2 cts

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman