[vlc] Re: SOLVED (well, sort of): IGMP snooping on Foundry EdgeIron 4802F

andy at seacoms.com andy at seacoms.com
Thu Dec 18 15:47:15 CET 2003

Bruno,

thank you for sharing that information. We recently had some problems
with IGMP / multicast port filtering as well. We use 3COM Superstack
switches and it pans out that IGMP is not implemented on multicast
addresses with '0' and '1' (meaning 239.0.0.1 e.g. is not multicast port
filtered).
So we had to change our software to avoid those digits. Very annoying.

Also, one other drawback we've found is that the IGMP does not provide
mutlicast filtering based on ports. For example: 239.1.1.1:8000 and
239.1.1.1:8001 is considered the same and forwarded to any receiver which
signed up for either 239.1.1.1:8000 OR 238.1.1.1:8001. Very sad, because
with vlc you can multicast as many streams you want, just differing in the
port portion. It would have been great just to allocate a new port for a
new stream and not a whole new multicast group.

Unfortunatelly we had a similar experience with 3COM, that those small but
important details weren't documented anywhere and that we only found the
cause for those problems after some debugging sessions.

Oh well... looks like the switch guys have some work cut out for them.

Andy