[vlc] Re: VLC On Simputer

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Wed Dec 24 16:12:12 CET 2003

Kumar Phaneendra wrote:

> Hi,
>   We are using VLC on our Simputer, which is running
> on arm-linux. VLC is great. MPEG2 playback is very
> smooth. But divx playback is jerky. We are using
> ffmpeg codecs. Can you suggest us any optimizations
> require for this?

On StrongARM/XScale platform VLC does not use optimizations.

1) In VLC you could do YUV to RGB optimization in arm assembly. BBPlay
does that in yuv420_rgb565.S and it makes DIVX and MPEG4 a lot smoother.
2) Another thing could be to optimize ffmpeg for StrongARM/XScale, but
this requires a lot more skills then the previous optimization.
3) New IDCT routines for StrongARM/XScale (needs to be written from scratch.

I would suggest to do nr 1) first. If right this should already give
enough optimizations for fluent DIVX and MPEG4 playback. See the
directory modules/video_chroma in VLC source code. The ARM assembly
routine should be integrated in there somehow. Don't forget to add
support for scaling in the assembly routines, because the BBPlay
"example" doesn't support it and VLC does.

Good luck

--

Many greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman