[vlc] Problem with Debian packages

Frans Pop aragorn at tiscali.nl
Wed Dec 24 16:49:11 CET 2003

Hello,

I recently upgraded to the 0.6.2-0woody.1 packages.
As I am running KDE 3.1.4 on a Woody system, I unfortunately can not use your
kvlc frontend (as installing this would result in removing KDE 3.1.4).
So I wanted to install _only_ the gvlc frontend.

The problem is that the vlc package has "Recommends: gnome-vlc | wxvlc". This
means that dselect automatically wants to install gnome-vlc or wxvlc. I dont
want to install gnome-vlc as this would mean installing a lot of other gnome
packages.

I think the solution would be to include the other front-ends in "Recommends":
"Recommends: gnome-vlc | kvlc | gvlc | wxvlc | ..."

Alternatively, you could perhaps create a pseudo-package "vlc-frontend" and
have vlc "Recommends: vlc-frontend" (or even "Depends: vlc-frontend").
Of course, the different frontends should then have "Provides: vlc-frontend".

Thanks for your excelent player.

Frans Pop

P.S. Should I file a bug for this problem?