[vlc] "jerky" visual artifacts - VLC mpeg2 playback

Howard Page howard at seacoms.com
Wed Dec 31 01:54:26 CET 2003

I'm interested in finding a resolution in a visual artifact playback
problem we've been seeing with VLC.

For example, observe this stream:

ftp://ftp.tek.com/tv/test/streams/Element/MPEG-Video/525/tens_060.m2v

Note the picture on the wall when the camera starts to pan to the right.
The jerkiness can be observed as the picture moves to the left of the
screen.

I don't see any interesting debug messages (i.e. late pictures, etc.)
when the -v3 log option is used.  I tried:

- upgrading to vlc-0.7.0-test1

- upgrading libmpeg2 to version 0.4.0

and see no change.

I see this problem quite often while playing back mpeg2 program streams.

Using a modified version of mpeg2dec, however, one with changes
introduced to limit the playback frame rate, these artifacts cannot be
observed. This leads me to believe it is a clock/timing problem.

Any ideas? It's a bit annoying and we'd like to address it.

Thanks!

Regards,

Howard G Page