[vlc] Re: A few questions

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at wxs.nl
Sat Feb 1 12:59:28 CET 2003

Sabbia wrote:
> Hi and thank you very much for your answer.
>

>>This is strange, since this address is not in the allowed range of
>>multicast IP addresses...
>

> I'm sure that the multicast UDP address is 24.xxx.x.x :12345
> I'm inside a very big LAN, so that IP isn't probably published on Internet.

It can not be! 24.x.x.x is not even in the multicast range of addresses.
  So it is no valid multicast address and therefor you won't be able to
use it as multicast address period.

Look at:
http://jukie.net/~bart/multicast/Linux-Mrouted-MiniHOWTO.html
http://andrew.triumf.ca/pub/linux/multicast-FAQ
http://www.d-bell.dircon.co.uk/cafe/Lht1.htm
for more information on HowTO setup a multicast capable pc.

Multicast addresses range from 224.0.0.0 till 239.255.255.255 and use a
netmask of 240.0.0.0. To play multicast from one computer to another you
need to add this route to your server computer:

/sbin/route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth0

Greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman.