[vlc] Re: VLC on VIA

Paul Rae PRae at aminocom.com
Mon Feb 3 10:37:32 CET 2003

Well my experiences are a little different ...

I have EIPA-800 and have used it as a VLS and streamed several 2.2mbit
streams from it without any problems at all :)

I haven't tried using it as a VLC in linux yet, but using it as a client
in win2k is fine.

It has more than enough power to play a stream (remember it takes next
to no processing power at all to play a stream) and will does infact
have enough processing power to decode mpeg files directly through the
client.

As for divx it's a little bit dodgy. Depending on the rate and codec the
have been encoded with will reflect how well they play. I have had some
success with a small number of divx's that I have but most are too
jerky. Perhaps with some optimization they would work better, but ive
converted most of mine to mpeg as it is easier to stream anyway

Regards,

Paul