[vlc] Re: Downloading Videolan software

Paul Allen allenp at nwlink.com
Tue Feb 4 05:34:43 CET 2003

Art Thurston wrote:
>   How does one find and download a copy of Videolan for the Windows
> platform.  I have poked and clicked on just about everything on your
> website at www.videolan.org but just keep being sent round and round.
> Is it possible to download a copy of this program?  And if so please
> tell me how and where to find the Windows version.

The techies who write software are not usually stopped by a puzzling
web page, so the authors of VLC are likely unaware that their page
contains a minor puzzle.  There is no "Download Here!" link on the
VideoLan home page.

After I studied the page for a while and concluded that there was no
obvious way to get to the download page, I tried the next most obvious
thing and clicked on the "VLC media player" tab.  This took me to a
page where I could select my OS and download binaries.  Cool!  Sometimes
I have to resort to the third or fourth most obvious thing on a page
in order to find what I want!

Since not all potential VideoLan users think like programmers, perhaps
someone could make navigation to the download page less puzzling?  The
artists, writers, and other assorted non-techies of the world will
likely thank you.

Paul Allen