[vlc] Re: CANNOT play avi and asf with opie-vlc in iPAQ

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at wxs.nl
Sat Feb 15 21:02:47 CET 2003

Andrew leung wrote:
> Dear Jean - Paul Saman,

> Thank you very much, with opie-vlc 0.5.1, the video is much better than before, now it is working!!! (But may have to try a few times to get one attempt resulted in a good working)

Could you send me a log file for one of the failed runs? Or did you type
  it wrongly?

> I would like to express my appreciation for your help so far again.

> Now its is much stable, I keep using 160X128, ffmpeg still calims its bitrate is 32k for video (which is the bitrate claimed so far)

32k bitrate should be enough especially for BT ;-)

> I will try other setting anyway.

That can never hurt?

> Is the previous unstable performance all caused by vlc-0.4.6's problem but now the bitrate? From its performance now, shall we said that our previous conclusion on the quality and bitrate be changed?

Depend ! If you used the same settings before, then there were other
things that caused it to work badly. Otherwise we cannot take a conclusion.

I am busy cleaning up the qte video output. According to your reports
that and a lot of other changes in the core functionality made it a lot
better for the iPaq.

See http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/NEWS

> 1)why 0.5.1 has explicitly installed ffmpeg.ipkg? (seems that 0.4.6 does not have a seperate package installation for ffmpeg.
opie-vlc_0.4.6 had it statically linked in. The opie-vlc_0.5.1 uses it
as a shared library.

> 2)If I use MPEG-1 / 2, is this ffmpeg.ipk not used? (because you have mentioned that ffmpeg is for MPEG4 or DIVX
Correct.

> 3)Overall speaking, what has been upgraded in 0.5.1?
See http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/NEWS

> 4) it also install opie-netsetup from the feed itself, again what is the use of opie-netsetup?
It is for setting up network connections. My reasoning is that vlc is a
media player that can read streaming video directly from the network,
thus it should depend upon this. In this way users can easily configure
their network. VLC will also work without this package, so in that way
it does not depend upon that. Their is no way to specify an optional
dependency and I think that right.

Do you think it should be in the dependency list or not?

> Although opie-vlc is only a command line mode stuff, I am happy enough to have a working package now, I have tried to write GUI for iPAQ before but was facing a very very high diffficulities, the cross complier, tmake, qt - embedded made me crazy!!!
>

> Thank you for your great job (and your colleages') in making opie-vlc.

:-)

Greetings,
Jean-Paul.