[vlc] ffmpeg & VLS/VLC

Jim Redman jredman at ergotech.com
Sat Feb 15 23:23:42 CET 2003

I'm interested in setting up a system that has some of the features of the
ffserver.  That is, support for low-bandwidth realplayer or WMP imaging
(Internet) and support for high quality multicast MPEG images (Intranet).

I can get the two pieces of this working - but not together.  VLS/VLC with
V4L (from CVS) work well in either unicast or multicast.  ffmpeg provides
some great low-bandwidth options.  As an aside, it's really impressive
that I can get a test system running well with a components (brooktree
board and camera) that probably cost less than $20US total.

It seems that I should, in priciple, be able to either use ffmpeg as an
input to VLC (or VLS) or use VLS as an imput to ffserver.

I can grap an ffmpeg stream and feed it into ffserver.  ffserver supports
multicast, but I have yet to get it working with VLC.  Any suggestions?

VLS would seem to be another solution for the high quality multicast and
I've seen that it been set to use ffmpeg encode files previously:

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 15:24, you wrote:
> Marco Mellia wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to setup a simple server to stream live content on our campus
> > LAN. I'm able to use ffmpeg to produce a mpeg1-PS stream from the TV card
> > without any problem, and I'm able to set vls correctly up so that it can
> > stream the encoded file.

But again, I have not been able to get this to work.  Do anyone have any
suggestions for the inputs/formats to use?

There is a problem with this approach.  The CPU usage is considerable
since all the encoding is now in software.  (It's even higher the the V4L
code for vls.)  This concerns me because I would like to do this in a
(relatively) low power fanless diskless embedded system (500MHz max).

Could I instead use vls as the input to ffserver and use a board that
supports hardware MPEG encoding and so free up some CPU time?

Has anyone done any of this or have any suggestions or pointers to help
with the configuration?

Thanks,

Jim

--