[vlc] Re: VLC 0.5.1 broken on OS X

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Mon Feb 17 19:45:01 CET 2003

On maandag, feb 17, 2003, at 18:56 Europe/Amsterdam, Michel Alexandre
Salim wrote:
> On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 04:02 PM, Michel Alexandre Salim
> wrote:
>
>> VLC 0.5.0 works great apart from playing encrypted DVDs (see my
>> the menu set to Japanese!
>>
> Replying to myself here, apparently the 0.5.1 image for OS X was
> compiled without English support, so it just moved to the next
> language (which on OS X was funnily Japanese...)
>
> Funnily, once I change my language preference ordering so French is
> second, the menu does not crash anymore... hmm

Actually it's even more complicated than that. I'll do the long version
;)
VLC uses an alternate system for creating localizations then the
standard macosx way. We use this method, because of it's portability to
other platforms as well. This method (gettext) uses the system variable
LANG.

On platforms where this variable is not set, we consult your system's
localization options and set this variable ourselves. The problem was
that we had forgotten to add English to this list (we actually had
British, but that's not that useful ). So whenever you had an unset
LANG variable, with English as your preferred language, it would
actually turn to the next preferred language.

When you were editing your 'International' settings, the system reset
the LANG variable itself and you no longer experienced the problem,
because VLC didn't have to turn to it's faulty code. Actually the whole
problem is Apple's fault for having an unset LANG variable in some
cases, which causes us to sometimes having to set this ourselves.

A new macosx release (0.5.1a) will be made available tonight to fix
this specific issue.
Hoping this will answer some questions for some ppl,

Derk-Jan Hartman
Universiteit Twente
Derk-Jan 'The DJ' Hartman
ICQnr: 10111559