[vlc] Re: Installing VLC on mac OS X

mhf at labyrinth.net.au mhf at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Feb 21 07:54:56 CET 2003

Greetings from Oz

My guess would be that the download did not complete properly. I was able to
download and install the file satisfactorily.

BTW, I'd like to express my thanks for VLC and provide some feedback. It
enables me to play DVD's under OSX on my 700Mhz iBook (the one with just the
internal CD), by means of an external Firewire combo drive. The nasty OSX
installer will not give me Apple DVD Player v3.x - it has decided I don't
need or deserve it. Strangely, OS9.2.2 gives me DVD Player v2.7, which does
work, but only to the LCD screen.

With VLC I'm happy. There are occasionally tiny artifacts, so I guess I'm
near the minimum MHz necessary. I didn't notice these using DVD Player v2.7
under OS9. there may be some technical reason I'm not aware of why this is
the case.

Another advantage in running under OSX is that I can now use my Apple TV
adapter, which will not work under OS9.

As a joke I loaded VLC on my G3 Desktop 266, and the result is like a
powerpoint presentation or a series of slides! but it doesn't crash, so it's
robust code. The audio is fine though. I wonder how it would go with a Sonnet
G4 upgrade ... ?

I am unlikely to ever make use of streaming as I rely on a 56K modem
connection.

Keep up the good work, as there is no commercial equivalent under OSX that I
know off, and it opens up possibilities for people like me with external
equipment. I'd pay money for a commercial release, for sure.

cheers

Martin Foot