[vlc] Re: Sound is choppy using ver 0.5.1 under Win98

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sun Feb 23 12:45:14 CET 2003

On Friday 21 February 2003 07:19, pleung at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, I like to thank you for an excellant player. It's the only
player I can play movies with AC3 codec.

> I have been using the ver 0.4.6 with Win98, but sometimes the picture and
audio is out of sync. After reading the FAQ I realise this is a known
problem. I also noticed there is a later version, namely, ver 0.5.1. I have
2 queries about this.

> 1. There isn't an .exe version like 0.4.6 for Win OS?

There isn't yet, but will surely be in the future.

> 2. I downloaded the zip version,  unzipped the files to a folder, as
instructed, and ran the vlc.exe. I noticed the sound is very choppy.

> Do I need to change any settings. It's happening to all movies.

Could you do a few tests for me please ?

1 - run vlc, go into the preferences menu, in the audio section select the
"aout_directx" audio output module. Then try to play a movie.

2 - run vlc, go into the preferences menu, in the audio section select the
"waveout" audio output module. Then try to play a movie.

3 - download the test version here:
http://www.videolan.org/pub/testing/vlc-0.5.2-pre1-win32.zip, install it
and re-run the first 2 tests.

Does any of these tests improve the sound quality at all ?

Regards,

--
Gildas