[vlc] streaming output question(s)

Alexis Guerin alexis.guerin at isep.fr
Wed Feb 26 17:14:36 CET 2003

Hello,

I am giving a try to the streaming feature of VLC 0.5.1 and i have a few
question about it.

 - It doesn't seem to be possible to send the video output both to the network
(or file) and to screen display, or better, to the network, to screen display
AND to a file.
Is there any plan to implement that? That would be a great feature.

- What are exactly the MPEG-4 streaming features of vlc?
On the streaming feature page of your web site, it is written MPEG PS/TS muxer
and AVI muxer. These 3 format are available via in the interface for output
to a file, but only the TS muxer is available for output to the network.
So my question is : how is the MPEG-4 compressed stream muxed in a TS stream?
Is it the same as for an MPEG-2 streams? Is it a "standard" (common)  way to
stream MPEG-4, and is VLC the only client able to read such a stream?

- I tried to stream a file containing MPEG-4 video (DIVX) and MP3 audio (I
also tried the same file with AC3 audio instead of MP3 --> same result), and
it is worked, but the video is bad during a few seconds (during 5-10s I can
mostly see gray blocks on the screen) and it then come back to the normal
quality.
Have someone else seen this problem or i am doing something wrong?
The MPEG-4 file plays fine on VLC without streaming so it is not a corrupted
file , and it's not a bandwidth pb either since I can stream MPEG-2 file
without any pb.

- A last question is about transcoding. Does anyone know if it is possible to
make VLC use stdin as an input? What I want want to do is to send the output
of transcode or mencoder to vlc.
but it might actually not even be possible to send the output of mencoder on
stdin... any comments?

Thanks for your comments,
And thanks for this great software!! These new streaming output capabilities
are very interesting, especially the divx streaming one.

Alexis