[vlc] Re: Question of running vlc (Win32 ver) on system with multiple NIC

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Thu Feb 27 21:33:38 CET 2003

On Thursday 27 February 2003 19:11, Quang Phan wrote:
> I am running vlc (WIn32 version) on a system with 2 NIC's. How do I tell
vlc which NIC card to use? Does something like this would work?

> 1) To let vlc plays video streaming on NIC#1 (ip = 192.168.192.2)
> from command line type:
> vlc udp:@192.168.192.2:1234
>
> 1) To let vlc plays video streaming on NIC#2 (ip = 192.168.195.110)
> from command line type:
> vlc udp:@192.168.195.110:1234
>
> Note that the vls server unicast video on UPD port 1234.

If you are trying to play a unicast stream, then you don't need to indicate
vlc which card to use. VLC will just listen on both cards, so should work
perfectly well just by typing "vlc udp:"

The syntax you are using above tells vlc to connect to the multicast stream
at address 192.168.192.x. This address isn't a multicast address so vlc
will give an error.

Now if you want to play a multicast stream, on windows you need to tell vlc
which card to use (when you have several). You can do so by using the
option "--iface-address ip_address_nic"

Hope this helps,

--
Gildas