[vlc] Xvid encoded file

Fabien ILLIDE fillide.cambrai at nordnet.fr
Tue Jan 14 17:58:51 CET 2003

Hi guys,

Well, I'm starting some test of encoding.

Under GNU/Linux, I've try DVD::Rip and unless I've make a mistake, I've
encode in Xvid codec, with OGG sound.

The result is a .ogg file, which I can play with VLC under GNU/Linux.

The problem is under Windows (which suX) : with VLC too, I've no image (no
window at all).

The significant message in message logs is :
input error: this doesn't look like an MPEG PS stream, but continuing anyway

and just after :
input warning: garbage (0x4f676753)
input warning: garbage (0x0f805aaa)
input warning: garbage (0x2e3ef0a3)
intf: stream has changed, refreshing interface

and so on.

Well, how does it works with Xvid under Windows ? Must I install some
codecs ? Aren't they in VLC ?

Should I encode in DivX4 or DivX5 instead of Xvid ?

Thanks,
Fabien