[vlc] Re: VLC Installation on Mac 10.1.5

laurak13 at bu.edu laurak13 at bu.edu
Wed Jan 29 01:24:06 CET 2003

I've never used Apple DVD Player; this is an external Ricoh 5120
firewire drive, and the Apple player won't recognize it.  I've never
dealt with a region mismatch before, so I don't exactly know what the
signs are - would the disc still show up on my desktop with a title and
contents visible?  That is - when I put, say, The Princess and the
Warrior in the drive, a DVD icon shows up labeled "DVD_VIDEO" (although
others are labeled with actual titles... it just depends on the disc),
and doubleclicking first on the icon and then on the VIDEO_TS folder
reveals .VOB files with the VLC icon, as well as other files with only
blank icons that I presume are for Windows use.

Also, when I attempt to run VLC 0.4.2, the drive appears to be reading
the drive - under the controls menu the title and chapter selection are
accessible, as opposed to when a disc is not running and they are faded
and inactive.  However, there is no picture or sound, although, when
attempting to run American Beauty, if I open the file VIDEO_TS.VOB I can
get a brief picture of a menu before it goes away.

Is there any way to unset the region of the player with Mac software, or
at least check and see if the region is set?  Is it possible to
inadvertently set a region?