[vlc] Re: VLC/IPV6 & Windows

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Jul 2 17:51:44 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 01:23, Steve Pollock wrote:
> Gents,
>
> Trying to stream with VLC over an IPV6 network.  VLC Server on a Redhat 9
system works fine.  I am seeing packets outbound for UDP FF08::1.  When I
use a Redhat 9 Client I am also able to rcv the stream just fine.  However,
using the windows client on a Windows 2000 machine (the tech preview) and I
get no video.  I am beginning to think the Windows 2000 IPV6 stack doesn't
support multicast.  I ran a sniffer on the wire and am seeing packets
reaching the machine (they are currently layer 2 adjacent).

Make sure you are using VLC-0.6.0 as previous versions don't support ipv6
multicast on Win2k/XP.

You might also have to add a route for the multicast subnet so Windows knows
how to forward multicast requests (ipv6 rtu FF00::/8 #intfnum)

Hope this helps,

--
Gildas