[vlc] Re: Xine cannot play MPEG2-PS files created with VLC streaming

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Mon Jul 14 19:07:16 CEST 2003

On Sunday 13 July 2003 15:30, Gildas Bazin wrote:
> On Friday 11 July 2003 16:31, Rett Walters wrote:
> >
> > Here is my setup - I am streaming a DVD from VLS 0.5.3 on one machine to
> > VideoLAN Client 0.6.0 on another - VLC is configured to stream to an
> > MPEG2 PS file, rather than play the stream.  Once I stop VLC and attempt
> > to play the resulting file with xine, xine either cannot play the file
> > at all or pauses for several minutes before playing it.  Mplayer on the
> > other hand, plays the file fine.
> >

> Don't know about this one, it could be a problem with the MPEG PS file
> that VLC produces (The PS output hasn't received the same amount of
> testing as the TS one). Or it could be a problem with xine.
>
> > Is there something that VLC does to make its files non standard in some
> > way?
>
> It could be.

Ok, I had a closer look at our MPEG PS muxer and it turns out that it
doesn't write any system headers into the output stream. System headers are
only optional but I guess xine relies on them (I haven't looked at its
source code). Windows media player seems to be expecting system headers as
well so I'll add support for them.

--
Gildas