[vlc] Re: How to measure a video's bits-per-second?

John Michael Zorko j.zorko at att.net
Wed Jul 16 08:39:00 CEST 2003

Christopher,

> How can I determine how many bits/second a given video has?  I confess
> my ignorance in matters of video codecs, is there any way to find this
> out?  Given some MPEG  on disk, can I look  at the header and get  the
> bitrate?  Or is there a way to find this from VLC directly?

You can determine the bitrate of an MPEG ES (audio / video / etc.) by
looking at the ES rate field after the PES header, assuming the ES rate
flag is set.  You can also look at the i_mux_rate data member of the
VLC stream_descriptor_t structure.  I realize that this is a bit short,
i'm just kind of tired right now and don't have a running VLC instance
handy, so I don't know if the GUI displays this info anywhere.  If you
need more info on how to find this out, i'll be glad to assist in any
way I can.

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
New EP, "hope thrown down," available now at
http://www.mp3.com/fallingyou