[vlc] Using VLC with password protected Web Server

ay1 at doc.ic.ac.uk ay1 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Mon Jul 21 15:47:29 CEST 2003

Dear All,

Sorry for this newbie question but I have already read through the FAQ and
tried to search the online archive but couldn't find an answer.

I want to know how can I make VLC connect to a password protected web server
for a video on demand application?  I tried to use the
http://username:password@server:port  format but vlc treats the username as
server and password as port?

Also is there any server side setting I can make so that a vlc cannot save the
content on the client side - i.e. making it a real streaming setting?

Will appreciate any pointer to resolve these.

Alexander Yip