[vlc] I'd appreciate some help with DVB in VLC

Val Urtone valurtone at catmint.plus.com
Wed Jun 4 03:04:23 CEST 2003

Hi,

Newbie, I'm afraid.

Mandrake Linux 9.0, 2.4.19-16
Pentium II 450, 128mb ram, WinTV Nova-S, Rage graphics (Xpert 98)

I've scanned the archives, but I don't see a solution posted to the
following:

I'm able to play DVDs without any problem, but I can't get VLC to enable
satellite.

I installed the DVB driver, linuxtv-dvb-1.0.0-pre2, according to
instructions, then I used URPMI to get VLC. It didn't appear to come
with satellite support enabled in the original package. I've tried about
four ways of installing libdvbpsi-0.1.2,  using './configure
--enable-satellite', then 'make' and 'make install' in various
directories. A lot of stuff seems to happen, but on returning to the
GUI, pressing 'sat' and entering frequencies etc., the message returned
is usually similar to:

intf: creating new input thread
input: playlist item 'satellite' (with input parameters for freqs etc).
input: access 'satellite, demux, (with name pertaining to above)
thread info: 1026 (input) has been created (src/input/input.c:197)
input error: no suitable access plug-in for satellite/:(input parameters
again)
thread info: 1026 has been joined ((unknown):0)

i even tried installing the plug-in using a local URPMI of the Mandrake
libdvbpsi RPM. Still nothing.

Could someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

All help gratefully accepted.

TIA.

Val.