[vlc] Re: VLC 0.5.3 questions/problems

Paul Allen allenp at nwlink.com
Mon Jun 23 03:48:39 CEST 2003

Benjamin PRACHT wrote:
> Yes, vlc begins to have quite a lot of dependencies ;-)

Yep.  I'm hoping that a stable version will emerge and get integrated
by RedHat or Mandrake.

> You'll nead libdvdplay  in order to have menus on  DVDs. It is available
> on our website.

Libdvdplay from the VideoLAN website is built and installed.  The
vlc-0.5.3 configure script finds it and is happy with it.  I'm using
--enable-dvdplay on the configure command line.  I push "Disc", check
the "Use DVD menus" box, push OK, and it just plays the movie.  On a
real DVD player, this disk stops with a menu of choices and you have
to actively choose "Play the movie" to get it to play.

> I haveven't read  all your log, but if the  compilation issue is related
> to ffmpeg,  make sure  you have  compiled it with  ogg and  lame support
> disabled.

Ffmpeg has "vorbis" and "mp3-lame" features that are disabled by
default.  I don't see any "ogg" features.

 > It il generally a good idea (well, at least, it is the way I'm
> doing) to link ffmeg statically (--with-ffmepg-tree=)

Interesting.  I added --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-tree=../ffmpeg*
to my configure command and the result compiled.  I still don't have
DVD menus or AVI file support.  There are no competing versions of
ffmpeg sitting around anywhere, so I'm at a loss to explain why this
worked.

I guess my next step is to add --enable-libmpeg2 to the currently-
working configure command and see what happens.  Perhaps later this
evening.

Paul Allen