[vlc] Can't background vlc?

Christopher DeMarco cdemarco at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 25 11:11:44 CEST 2003

alexis on #videolan helped  me out, thought I'd  post the info  here for
community benefit...

I was trying to run vlc on a virtual console (I'm talking Linux here, so
Windows folks can pass me by ;) in the background - I have a script that
fires off several vlc processes to stream to various multicast
addresses with a command line like

          vlc --sout udp:224.0.0.224 mov1.mpg &

But no good - I kept dieing from no tty input.   So alexis saved the day
with the suggestion to try "-I dummy", which works brilliantly:

     vlc --sout udp:224.0.0.224 mov1.mpg -I dummy &

Hope this helps someone somewhere sometime...

Summary for the search engines:

bash unix job control suspend control-z ^z ampersand tty stdin stdout
stderr zsh ksh csh tcsh ash sh bourne korn shell interface script

--
% You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.
  Christopher DeMarco
  cdemarco at fastmail.fm
  +6013 389 5658