[vlc] Re: Saving a strean to disk with VLC 0.6.0 Win32

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Sat Jun 28 14:31:57 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003, rocchi at tin.it wrote :
> Hi,
> I'd like to have more info about saving a strean to disk with VLC, Release
> 0.6.0, win32 version.
>
> The problem il the file generated is not MediaPlayer or Virtual Dub
> Compatible, so I could't edit it.
>
> I have tried this four parameters:
>  --sout file/ps:C:\FILE001.MPG
>  --sout file/ts:C:\FILE001.MPG
>  --sout file/avi:C:\FILE001.AVI
>  --sout file/ogg:C:\FILE001.OGG
>
> Is possible to save it as a Mpeg4 or a DivX (or other ) file? If Yes, can
> you tell me the right parameters?
>
> Here attached all the info I have found.
>
> Regards,
> Gian Paolo -Italy-
>

> 3.2. Save a stream with VLC
> VLC can save the stream to the disk, but it can't display it and save it
> to the disk at the same time (this should come in future versions). In
> order to save the file to the disk, use the Stream Output of VLC : you can
> do it via the graphical interface, or you can add to the command line the
> following argument :
> --sout file/muxer:stream.xyz
> Where :
> muxer is one of the formats supported by VLC's stream output, i.e. :
> avi for AVI format,
> ogg for OGG format,
> ps for MPEG2-PS format,
> ts or ts_dvbpsi for MPEG2-TS format (the latter uses libdvbpsi for the
> task).
> and stream.xyz is the name of the file you want to save the stream to,
> with the right extension.--

Well,  I'm  not sure,  bu  I  think Virtualdub  needs  an  .ifo file  to
transcode a file... Which vlc cannot provide.

However, vlc is  able to make real time transcoding.  You'll need a fast
computer to do this, but it should work.

I'm sorry, but I cannot find any  plac where the syntax is described. As
it  is a  new  feature of  vlc  0.6.0,  we haven't  had  time to  update
documentation yet...

--
$(echo "BigBen")

<< Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire compliqué ? >>
Oui, pourquoi ?