[vlc] Re: Warning - RedHat 8.0 rpms

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Wed Mar 12 14:28:03 CET 2003

Alexis de Lattre wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 11, 2003, Bill Eldridge wrote :
>

>>Just a warning for those thinking about installing
>>RedHat rpm's, I've pretty well gone through dependency
>>hell (this package depends on 3 others that depend on
>>7 others that depend on...) on it every time I've tried
>>to install.
>>

>I added a warning on the VLC for RedHat page and advised to compile from
>sources.
>
>Do you have some experience with RPM building ? Could you try to build
>new ones ?

You mean make the spec file itself? Yeah, I did it once before
for either vlc or vls, basically just hacked the existing one
to remove all the dependencies I didn't have, so I'll try
doing this again when I get to work.

The neat way is to have the configure script automatically
create the spec file, so then it's almost guaranteed to work
for that system if configure didn't fail.