[vlc] Save video to file

Chris Luth cluth at mac.com
Thu Mar 13 10:27:00 CET 2003

I'm unclear about how to save the video I'm watching to a file. In the
Documentation under 4.2.6 Stream output, it talks about configuring
various options to stream the video and mentions that you can save it
to a file. However, it doesn't give very clear-cut instructions, and I
can't get it to work.

I know that the interface is a little different for each different
platform. I have the OS X version (0.5.2) of VLC. I'm watching an AVI
video compressed with XviD. I want to save the video to an MPEG-1 file,
or if I can't do that, then I at least want to save it in any format
that QuickTime 6 will read -- DivX, MPEG-4, etc.

It looks like I can select an MPEG-1 output for video and audio, but
how do I actually get it to create the file? What values do I select
for each option and what do I type in the text fields?

It's all a bit confusing...

CL