[vlc] Re: Preferences under vlc-0.5.2 Windows

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Thu Mar 20 11:03:59 CET 2003

Gildas Bazin wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
>
>>Under winXP the directX hardware direct video overlay conflicts with the
>>operatings system, which results in a flickering video. Of course this
>>is very annoying.
>>
>>Under vlc-0.4.6 I can disable it in the Video preferences. The vlc-0.5.2
>>version doesnot have all these options any more. My question is how can
>>I disable the use of direct video overlay in WinXP version of vlc-0.5.2 ?
>>

> You need to enable the advanced options in the preferences panel, save and restart vlc.
>
> It is strange though that you get flickering when using overlays as we use triple buffering for the video. Unless of course your graphics card doesn't have enough memory for triple buffering and thus defaults to simple buffering.
>
> --
> Gildas

> NetCourrier, votre bureau virtuel sur Internet : Mail, Agenda, Clubs, Toolbar...
> Web/Wap : www.netcourrier.com
> Téléphone/Fax : 08 92 69 00 21 (0,34 € TTC/min)
> Minitel: 3615 NETCOURRIER (0,15 € TTC/min)

Thanks Gildas that did the trick. And yes the video card down not have
enough buffers left. Apparently it is a crappy one ;-)

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 44527
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199