[vlc] Re: how automatically quit after playing movie in opie-vlc

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at wxs.nl
Sun Mar 30 20:16:01 CEST 2003

Andrew leung wrote:
> Dear Gildas,
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> I would like to know what is "dummy plugin" and vlc:foo ?
>
> I have tried vlc:quite but seems that still not OK

Well it is vlc:quit and it does not work on opie, gpe, redhat when using
a network input. Thus "opie-vlc udp://@:1234 vlc:quit" or "vlc
udp://@:1234 vlc:quit" does not work. I verified this with
vlc-0.5.3-test1 and assume vlc-0.5.2 has the same omission. Could
someone verify this?

However when reading from a file it does work. Did you do this "vlc
myfile.mpg vlc:quit" on redhat, Andrew? I think so.

Why doesn't it work with network inputs? Well a network input cannot
detect an EOF situation. It could happen that no packets arrive during
some time, but a little later there are new packets. So when is the
stream ended then? There is no way to tell for sure.

This situation can only be fixed when client and server talk directly
with each other, e.g. with RTSP.

Greetins,
Jean-Paul Saman.