[vlc] Re: AW: Documentation for VLC/Windows

Alexis de Lattre alexis at via.ecp.fr
Thu May 1 13:32:06 CEST 2003

On Thu, May 01, 2003, Shakthi M wrote :
> I too feel that a vlc document for windows will be
> very much useful for all esp for those who are
> familiar with windows and new to linux.

I'm personnally very much against having a documentation for each O.S.
we support : it's a lot of work and impossible to maintain in the long
run.

I understand that you don't like the fact the the actual documentation
explains how to run vlc from the command line, which is disappointing
for Windows and Mac OS X users. We do se because VLC has a lot of
different interfaces, and it would be too difficult to document them
all.  In my opinion, the only solution to this problem is to have VLC
graphical user interfaces guidelines, that all the interfaces should
follow. These guideline would describe the menus and the dialog boxes.
Once we have unified interfaces, we could start to document the
interfaces in the VideoLAN documentation.

Before this happens, we can think of some special documentation for
Windows. What would you like to document exactly ? You think that the
user interface is not intuitive enough ?

> Also I cud see the existing document is not updated with the latest
> version of vlc, it's written for the earlier versions.

What is not up to date ? Tell me, i'll fix that.

> I'll be happy if i get the latest updated doc either
> in pdf or in word format.

The lastest documentation is available on the website, in HTML, PDF, PS
RTF and TEXT format.

--
Alexis