[vlc] Re: VLC + Linux as a set top box

sigmunau at idi.ntnu.no sigmunau at idi.ntnu.no
Sun May 11 11:21:46 CEST 2003

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 10:51:43AM +0200, redux at flare.it wrote:
> I want to decode mpg2 TS streams using a linuxbox with TV-OUT, is it
> possible to control everything without xwindows and only using the
> command line  through ssh ? I just want to connect the box to the
> ethernet, connect the videocard tv out to a TV and watch the stream.
> Which hardware do you recommend? Which modules should I compile ?

You will most probably have to use xwindows anyway, as the alternative video
output modules don't work well enough in my experience (fbdev is to slow and
svgalib is only 8bpp). You should not need to use xwindows to controll vlc
though, the rc interface work fine through ssh and there is a lirc interface
that let you controll it with a remote control (witch is cool for a stb).
Have a look at www.lirc.org for more info on remotes in linux.

Sigmund