[vlc] Frame Grabber Selection

Mukesh Motwani mcmotwani at hotmail.com
Mon May 12 22:30:25 CEST 2003

Dear All,

  I have an application in which I have real time analog signal (NTSC) from
a camera attached to the frame grabber. I want to compress this data using
MPEG2/MPEG-4/MJPEG on linux and stream it to another computer on the LAN
where I need to decompress and process the images. I went through the VLC
website and it seems very promissing. However the website mention only about
the kfir frame grabber. I dont want to use kfir because it gives 30fps
combined for all channels. I have found a frame grabber which gives 120fps
combined for all the 4 channels and uses the BT878 chipset. I understand
that the BT878 chipset has a linux driver which I have to patch with the
kernal but I am not sure VLC would work with it? Can anyone please shed some
light on it? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Mukesh